Hi

There are cases where expansion is far from standard, according to local
convention.

Here in Washington DC, the street names are all suffixed with the quadrant
(NW, SE, SW, NE) the road lies in. The official names of the streets kept
by the DC city government all use the contraction. Historically, I could
find no maps that used the expansion.

For spoken navigation systems, this is probably the easiest situation to
identify and handle, without ambiguity.

OSM maps of DC now just look a bit bizarre.

So I don't recommend we apply this expansion without consideration of
regional variation. Before any expansion scripts are run, in DC or
anywhere, the local community needs to be consulted sufficiently. I think
it's also a good idea for DC mappers to reconsider the suffix expansion in
our special case.

Thanks
Mikel