On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Harald Kliems <kli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With help from the wonderful folks at Maptime Madison, we're planning on
> hosting the first Madison (Wisc.) mapping party on the Spring Mapathon
> weekend. Nobody involved has ever organized or even attended a mapping
> party, so we wouldn't mind some advice. From reading on the wiki and
> various user diaries, I've come up with the following rough plan:
>
> - Meet at coffee shop, distribute Field Papers maps of the area to be
> surveyed, GPSrs , cameras, calibrate camera clocks. Mention non-obvious
> things that can be mapped, e.g. diet, payment method, collection times,
> opening hours, backrests on benches.
> - Depending on the number of participants, start surveying all together or
> in groups of three to four people. Plan on about one hour of surveying.
> - Group works it way toward the final meeting point at the local public
> library. Have a least two hours to process data and get it into OSM.
> Laptops are available at the library.
>
> Does this sound reasonable? Anything else I should be thinking of?

Madison is a great place to map. I haven't been back in a while, but it is
a really nice town. Have fun!

If you have a chance, add buildings prior to the mapping party. It will
make it easier for people to map from field papers.

I like meeting a coffee shops with plenty of seating, which leaves
Starbucks out, and using the library as a destination for updating OSM. If
you have someone with limited mobility they can stay at the coffee
shop/library and update OSM via cell phone with the survey crew.

I usually ask people if they have smart phones, especially iOS devices.
GoMap!! for iPhone/iPad is a great app for field surveys. (I don't really
like Vespucci but others might.) OSM Tracker for Android is a nice app for
tagging benches, information signs, waste baskets, etc. Plus OSM Tracker
can take photos and record audio. Also suggest going into business
establishments to ask for business cards. Use the business card to add
website, address, and hours to POIs.  Plus it is a great way to bring up
OSM to shop owners. I've only had one person "get upset" with me for
wasting her time. Everyone else is usually very interested in hearing that
we want to add their business to the map.

Some of the other no so typical information as you suggested is number of
parking spaces, internet availability, bike parking, and postal boxes (blue
boxes.) Please ask the participants to collect addresses, including unit
numbers as appropriate.

If possible I like to have teams of two or three, with at least one person
familiar with OSM.

+1 on Peter and Steve's suggestion of taking photos.

With field papers, suggest that they just mark the location with a number
and then keep a separate list with the tagging data. Field papers can get
very confusing when adding a bunch of businesses.

Good luck,
Clifford

--
@osm_seattle