Hello Peter:

The California/Rail wiki page you describe documents a couple of different ways we tag rail. OpenRailwayMap (ORM) documents a three tier (route=tracks, route=railway, route=train) method used in parts of Germany. As that page (as well as the USA Rail WikiProject) explain(s), because of the way TIGER entered rail in the USA, (and the way we structure and name rail) we often use just two of these, skipping route=tracks relations and "jumping" right to putting "named rail" into relations of route=railway: rail "infrastructure." You might say that two ORM/German-style "lower and middle level" relations have been merged into a single "middle level" relation here in the USA. There are also ("higher level," and the whole OSM world agrees) passenger rail relations: route=train (or route=light_rail, route=subway, route=tram...effectively at the same logical "level" as route=train). That's OSM rail "structure" in a nutshell.

In Oregon, there are the Brooklyn Subdivision (http://www.osm.org/relation/2203588), the Fallbridge Subdivision (http://www.osm.org/relation/1443651)... these are (correctly) the middle-level infrastructure relations tagged route=railway. There are also (predictably, also, the higher-level) route=train passenger rail relations like Amtrak Cascades (http://www.osm.org/relation/71428) which are often made up of a group of Subdivisions (route=railway relations) like Brooklyn and parts of Fallbridge.

THIS is what Paul was typing about in those Notes. Specifically, a (higher-level/passenger) route=train relation should not have as its name=* tag the name of the system (like MAX, BART, Metro or Amtrak), it should be the name of the passenger line (Green Line, Downtown to University...). And, the "underlying" (lower-level infrastructure) route=railway relation should be correctly "named" as the rail company (or public works department, transit district...) names it: often something like XYZ Subdivision or ABC Industrial Line.

OSM's Transport Layer is handy to display (rather raw) railway=* and (at closer zoom levels) route=bus. ORM is handy to display rail infrastructure (with Infrastructure radio button selected), especially usage=* tags. OpenPublicTransportMap (http://openptmap.org) is handy to display passenger rail relations.

The USA is largely under construction for all of these, but we've come a long way.

It's all in those wikis.  Makes sense?

Regards,
SteveA
California