Frederik Ramm writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > On 03/31/2015 08:04 AM, Natfoot wrote:
 > > There is so many situations where to his naked eye on the ground he may
 > > not be able to see it.  To a person like myself I can still find the
 > > signs on the earth of where the railroad once was.
 >
 > Then map the signs that *are*, but not the railroad which - as you
 > correctly say - once *was*.

That doesn't make *any* sense, Frederik. The signs are only there
because the railroad was there. We are not making a map as a random
collection of fencelines, and embankments and cuts and
shadows-on-farmers-fields and trees-on-stone-walls. That's complete
nonsense. There *used* to be a railroad there and that's *why* there's
a fenceline and embankment etc.

Maps are for understanding, not collections of unrelated elements.

I don't have an awful lot of use of OpenHistoricalMap because it's a
faux-layer. OSM doesn't have layers (for better or worse), and trying
to create them by using a completely separate database is a purposeful
attempt to #FAIL. Since my goal isn't failure, but instead success,
we're going to keep dismantled railways in OSM.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog