Hi,

On 07/10/2016 08:28 PM, Jack Burke wrote:
> Is anyone else starting to see map spam popping up in their areas?

DWG here. We see lots, but not to a degree that would concern us.
Occasionally individual IP numbers from Asia were blocked for signups
because they would create account after account just to add one POI. We
still have some low-volume background noise of spammy node additions
(http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/hei for examples) that seem to be
orchestrated in some way, but apparently not through sweat shops in
low-wage countries but rather using software that runs on the Internet
connection of whoever buys the software.

The individual business owner adding their own business in good faith is
of course something we want to encourage, so before you delete something
as spam, try to (as you have) make double sure that it is not just a
bumbling newbie; when in doubt, try to raise them via a changeset
discussion entry ("Hey, welcome to OSM, I see you have tried to add your
business here but it seems you placed it bang in the middle of a
residential neighbourhood, can I help you fix that"). If they don't
reply, delete the data; if continue adding rubbish data without
replying, report them to DWG at d...@osmfoundation.org for a dressing-down.

> Specifically, what I'm finding is a well-formed node for a small
> business, complete with phone number and (on 2 of them) websites.

Web-only businesses (that are run from someone's living room who doesn't
want customers to ring his doorbell) don't have a geographic footprint
and hence don't belong in OSM.

> Because the entry was so well-formed, I'm going to assume that the
> person is familiar with OSM and the account was created specifically to
> make this one entry.  Also, because it was a single node in an otherwise
> mostly-complete area, I'm going to assume that the person made a
> reasonable guess that the node wouldn't be noticed.

You're likely over-estimating their thought process.

Bye
Frederik