"Ionut Radu - (p)" <ionu...@telenav.com> writes:

> I was looking over residential roads in central area of Detroit and I
> was wondering if some of them should be upgraded to a superior
> function class (e.g. tertiary or secondary).
> Lots of them are Avenues and Boulevards with at least two lanes and seems to
> be major collector roads.
> I think they were imported from TIGER Roads and some of them need a review
> check.

Secondary typically is "state highway, or road that is important as a
state highway".  That will be fairly rare.

In rural areas, tertiary is typically a road that gets you to another
town, or to a different local area even if not across a boundary.  So
the roads people use to travel to a place that's in a different 10000
people population center should be tertiary.  That's too broad brush and
not really right, but I suggest that following it leads to sane results.