On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Nathan Mills <nat...@nwacg.net> wrote:
> Road maps in the US have long differentiated between freeway/expressway and
> has had both of those clearly different than US and state highways we'd be
> tagging as primary. Map users expect to see expressways shown differently.

Could you show me an example of a US road atlas that explicitly
demarcates expressways? I have legitimately tried to find one but have
not been able to. Most US maps I've seen show freeways & toll roads
explicitly, but not expressways. Some maps might use a different
casing style to denote a divided highway, but the underlying color of
the line still represents the importance of the road. Which is the
point I'm trying to get at, that a highway being divided or not is
orthogonal to its importance.

> It's less work on so many levels also. Creating a new tag requires
> significant work on the render side, but doesn't really gain us much over
> just using primary for roads that some think are important enough to be a
> trunk but are undivided. The wiki definition for primary is already "the
> most important non-motorway route between two cities" (essentially, and
> ignoring the variation in use between rural and urban areas)

This is incorrect. 'Tag:highway=primary' gives "A highway linking
large towns". 'Tag:highway=trunk' gives "Important roads that are not
motorways", and explicitly lists in the US tagging application that "a
major intercity highway" is a correct use of the trunk tag in the US.
'Highway:international_equivalence' as well as 'Key:highway' give the
same set of definitions. Where are you seeing that primary is "the
most important non-motorway route between two cities"?