On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 2:38 AM Mateusz Konieczny
<matkoni...@tutanota.com> wrote:
> If it is a peak then ele=XXX and noname=yes would be OK.
>
> If it is not a peak it should not be present at all - otherwise it opens way
> to importing
> LIDAR data into OSM (and there are datasets with resolution of 5 cm, dumping
> it
> into OSM would be case of unverifiable data making it impossible to edit).

If it isn't a peak, it's a spot elevation of something else. Map the
thing, tag its elevation. Some things don't have names.

If there's a spot elevation that isn't associated with a thing, ignore
it. There are better sources for elevation data. But few maps show
these. In the databases, most spot elevations that aren't 'real'
natural or human features are monumented trig points and can be tagged
as such.

So Mateusz is right, mostly.  Things other than peaks have elevations,
and if there's a real thing with a spot elevation, map it!

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 4:53 AM Dave Swarthout <daveswarth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is simply a way to get an otherwise unnamed peak to render and also, I
> suspect, to sidestep the inconvenience of converting the elevation to meters.
>  AFAIK, there are no peaks with the generic name "Point" on any USGS Topos.
> In addition, placing the elevation into the name is another trick that should
> be discouraged.

Agreed that the practice should be discouraged - if that in fact is
what's going on.

On the other hand, in the Catskills there are multiple summits NAMED
'High Peak' and 'High Point'.  The hikers distinguish them by
decorating the names: 'Windham High Peak', 'Kaaterskill High Peak',
'Ashokan High Point', ...  Many otherwise nameless peaks in the
Adirondacks have been given names by hikers, 'Northrop Lake Mountain',
'West Lake Mountain' and so on, and as Kevin Broderick points out,
some simply are referred to by their elevation on old topo maps -
which often is quite inaccurate, but tend to remain the names of
things even after more accurate elevation determinations have been
made.

So don't assume that a 'onesy-twosey' tagging of a spot named by its
elevation is wrong unless there's an obvious mass-tagging going on -
particularly if the mapper who tagged it is responsive!

(Yes, the US has a Board of Geographic Names - but its only authority
is to dictate the names that go on official US Government maps.
Otherwise, in the US, the name of a thing is whatever people call it.
Don't expect to find authoritative answers for many names.)