On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 4:02 PM OSM Volunteer stevea
<stevea...@softworkers.com> wrote:
> The usage of a tag (via taginfo) does give some indication of its usefulness
> (e.g. school can't be that important a boundary tag if there are only nine or
> ten of them in all of OSM), unless massive numbers of them were imported, as
> from TIGER and these MTFCC and FUNCSTAT crufty stuff.  But when we can hardly
> figure them out (although Kenny did a great job explaining what they MIGHT
> mean) AND they are from a "hoary old import" (as TIGER is often called),
> there really is good argument to remove them.  I'd vote to do so in a
> heartbeat (if were collecting votes, and we don't appear to be doing so).
> Hence, my logic-outline instead.  If they are essentially useless — and many
> seem to agree they are — I believe it is prudent to remove them.

I don't disagree. Ordinarily, though, I don't advocate removing tags
or objects unless they are clearly wrong, and not just useless - hence
my agreement that the (historic) GNIS points are actively harmful.

Still, given the amount of trouble that I had figuring out FUNCSTAT
from the documentation, it might cross over into 'harmful' since my
guess is that every reasonable interpretation of that confusing schema
is misleading.