On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 9:36 AM Phil! Gold <phi...@pobox.com> wrote:
> The "state at a time" pattern, as I have always understood it, exists to
> keep vastly distant objects from being linked with each other.  It makes
> it much less likely for someone, say, updating I-95 in Florida to get an
> editing conflict with someone else who made a change in Massachusetts.
> State borders provide convenient locations for the division of overly-lond
> relations.

It's mostly, as I understand it,  "huge routes cause editing
conflicts, make validation difficult, and otherwise make trouble for
the tools," combined with, "if you're going to break up a route, break
it in places that make some sort of sense."

When I created the (still incomplete, sorry!) relation for the Long
Path hiking trail, I found that the tools were struggling with the
number of way segments. (I switched to Meerkartor briefly at one point
because JOSM would crash on me!) I made the totally arbitrary decision
that the best points to break it up were the county lines.  I then
made the even more arbitrary decision that I'd lump in the George
Washington Bridge and 179th Street in with Bergen County, because it
just didn't feel right to create a New York County trail section for
that short a distance over city streets.

If it turns out that the sections will indeed have distinct attributes
(this includes Richard Fairhurst's observation that different states
treat their bicycle routes with different levels of respect), it'll be
easy to break them apart.

Merging route relations is harder, because when two relations merge
into one, one of them is deleted, damaging the ability of some of the
history tools to track changes. I'm therefore inclined to say, "if
it's already split in the database, leave it split; create a group if
necessary". The tools deal with routes-inside-routes pretty well.
https://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/#route?id=919642 manages to
assemble the sections into a coherent whole.