I don't recall ever having been asked to put down county of residence
on a federal form, though if I was I would have named the county I
lived in rather than leaving it blank. State forms ask for town of
residence if they ask for any such thing, since there are
administrative reasons why this matters (e.g. when you register a
vehicle, the DMV needs to know what town will be charging you property
tax on it).

The state is divided into 13 districts for courts, 4 of which exactly
line up with 4 of CT's 8 counties:
https://jud.ct.gov/directory/maps/JD/default.htm
These courts are run by the state, though, so the court districts are
not government entities any more than something like a DOT district
would be.
As you might guess, you report for jury duty only in the district
where you live.

The federal government definitely uses CT's counties for statistical
purposes. Their borders are shown on census maps. Not sure about the
GIS source you're referring to specifically.

Connecticut's GIS data
(https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/GIS-and-Maps/Data/GIS-DATA) offers
boundaries for both towns and counties, though they're separate
shapefiles so I'm not sure how you'd say one is "between" the other
and the state.
It is worth noting though that maps published by the state often show
town boundaries but not county boundaries (here's one example:
https://portal.ct.gov/-/media/DOT/documents/dpolicy/policymaps/ref/hwymap18ps-Final.pdf?la=en)
- which makes since administratively speaking, the towns are more
important.