On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 8:33 PM Joseph Eisenberg
<joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was thinking just create separate polygons for inholdings, tagged with
> > access=private and possibly ownership=private
>
> While many Americans like to put "no trespassing" signs on their private
> property, a privately owned parcel is not access=private unless there are
> signs on the roads and paths leading into it which say so.
>
> Many privately-owned parcels in the national forests are used for forestry
> only, and there is no issue with crossing through on a road or trail in many
> cases.
>
> Generally it is difficult to maintain land ownership data in OpenStreetMap.
> Fortunately, in the USA there are publicly-available databases which contain
> this cadastral information, so it is not necessary for us to duplicate it in
> OpenStreetMap. Database users should expect to get land ownership information
> directly from official sources, if they want accurate and up-to-data land
> ownership info by parcel.
>
> For example in Oregon you can get data at
> https://www.oregon.gov/geo/Pages/sdlibrary.aspx
>
> We should not try to map all land ownership data by parcel in OpenStreetMap.

In the particular case of these public lands, the land ownership, the
land use, and the land's access constraints are inextricably bound
together.

Your contention tends to be interpreted by the 'hard liners' as an
assertion that "public lands that are partly or wholly for recreation,
such as National Forests, but also any of a entire menagerie of other
land classes, ought not to be mapped."  This assertion has effectively
arisen whenever the subject of National Forests arises: much of the US
public expects to see them on a map, but get met with the pernicious
reply, "go to several dozen government agencies and get their
cadastre, but don't map these oblects."  (I'll accept that that';s not
what you meant, but the slope here is indeed slippery.)

In fact, OSM is the only good place that I have to aggregate this
information. When I'm using these boundaries for planning, the parcels
may be administered by multiple Federal, State and local government
agencies, plus NGO's and land trusts.  Each of these has its own
database of what it manages. OSM is the best place that I have to see
all of these public recreation lands at once. One of my favorite
motivating examples is planning a trip to Roundtop Mountain
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/357583100#map=14/42.1726/-74.0598.
The on-trail route from Palenville, far to the east, would have been
quite arduous, beyond what I'd attempt on a day trip.  Access from
Twilight Park to the north would be out of the question - it's a gated
community that does not welcome random visitors.  The snowmobile trail
access from Cortina Lane was closed at the time of year that I was
planning the trip.  I could have made the trip from the Platte Clove
Bruderhof; the religious community there is welcoming, and the trail
is open to the public, but I dislike imposing on their hospitality.
With OSM, I was able to see that the Roundtop Mountain Unit (New York
City Department of Environmental Protection, Bureau of Water Supply)
was adjacent to the Kaaterskill Wild Forest, and with my NYC parking
tag and access card in my pack, happily approached the mountain by a
much shorter route from the west.  I'd not have been able to do this
with either agency's information alone.

Now, on to the original question:

I will concede that I've never mapped a National Forest - but I have
helped with the mapping of some similarly-structured National Wildlife
Refuges, and imported data about a great many state lands in New York,
many of which have similarly diffuse boundaries.

What I've done:

1. The outermost boundary of many of these lands consists simply of an
an area in which the managing agency is authorized to acquire land,
and sometimes to apply regulation to the use of property similar to
what a zoning board might impose (and with similar requirements, such
as compensating a landowner if the regulation significantly impairs
the value of a parcel). Ordinarily it is unsigned and unobservable in
the field.  I ignore it for OSM; it's a regulatory designation for the
government's operations, with little impact on protection, public
access, land cover or land use.

2. The actual boundary - of ownership, regulation, protection, and
likely land use - is what most map users expect to see.  In many
cases, these boundaries are quite diffuse. In all the cases that I've
mapped, they're also observable in the field. The managing agency will
post the boundaries at intervals. (In my area, many of the signs look
like
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Preserve_(New_York)#/media/File:NYS_Forest_Preserve_sign.jpg,
but there are numerous older-style markers. Where a road traverses a
parcel, the signage will likely be fancier; one common form is
https://hikingthetrailtoyesterday.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/1wolf-lakedsc046871.jpg.
This boundary is, in all cases, what I put on the map.

3. Inholdings are mapped only by exclusion.  If a given facility has
multiple parcels, contains inholdings, or is otherwise topologically
complex, it's mapped as a multipolygon, and whatever land is not part
of the facility is not part of the multipolygon. There's no question
about "how do I map an inholding"; the question is "how do I exclude
an inholding from the surrounding facility", and the answer is, "by
making a multipolygon with an inner ring."

4. Some facilities have protected areas within protected areas.
That's actually a case that's foreseen by IUCN.  A large area like a
national park (or National Forest, or whatever!) may have some class
of protection like 'sustainable use of resources' or 'national park'
while enclosing a protected landscape or seascape, a wilderness area,
an area intensively managed for the protection of endangered species,
a recreation area, or whatever. I try to model this faithfully in the
areas that I've mapped. So, for instance, the Adirondack
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1695394 and Catskill
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6265477 Parks in New York each
contain a plethora of Wilderness, Wild Forrest, Intensive Use,
Primitive, Canoe, and other areas, which are individually mapped.
Each of these large parks is also a public-private partnership, and
includes farms. mines, and villages as well as forests, with the land
use intensively regulated by state agencies  Many of the state
facilities, particularly (for various reasons) the Wild Forest areas,
are quite diffuse indeed, and need complex multipolygons like
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6360587 to represent them.

These complex multipolygons surely make the map look messy, but the
complexity on the map reflects a complex reality in the field.  That
complexity doesn't make mapping them useless, or mean that we should
refer map users to the state agencies. I can look at OSM and the maps
derived from it, and see where a hike might trespass, and where I'm
safely on public-access land.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin