Regarding:
> a driveway to a house should not be tagged access=yes
> because a no trespassing sign cannot be seen.  That is a complete
> violation of verfiability, becuase the mapper has zero evidence that
> access should be yes.
*Given our defaults, no access tag is equivalent> to that.*

You're saying *omitting* a tag violates *verifiability*. That.... doesn't
compute. Requiring tags to be verifiable with evidence specifically means
the opposite of that. But that might get us closer to the source of
disagreement. You and I interpret a *missing* access tag differently. *You
read a missing access tag to mean access=yes*. (Is there documentation to
support that somewhere? or... why do you think that?)

I read a missing access tag to mean access=unknown, and "we don't yet have
evidence of what the access restricts are" and "someone should find out and
add a tag" and "until then, *use your best judgement based on context,
because this is a service=driveway*". This opinion is supported by
service=driveway
documentation
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:service%3Ddriveway#Usage>: "There
is no defined default access tag for driveways".

A missing access tag surely needs to be interpreted based on context. For
example, consider a military base vs a playground. An explicit access tag
says "trust me, I have found evidence of this". We're discussing how to use
the access tag to describe a driveway, but that's solved with
service=driveway.

-Alex