On 8/5/2020 9:11 PM, Eric H. Christensen via Talk-us wrote:
Tropical Storm Isaias left several homes in my neighborhood severely damaged
and condemned.  Is there a proper way to map these structures?

Thanks,
Eric

Hi Eric, I've used building=ruins (
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building=ruins ) for situations
like this where the building in still present but observably no longer
functioning as a building.

Pros:
 - Documented in the wiki.
 - Supported by iD.
 - Building will still render on the default map.

Cons:
 - Information about building type, if it wasn't simply building=yes,
will be lost (thought it would be in the history of course, and could
still be added via another tag, eg, was:building=house.)
 - Some people have a slightly more romantic understanding of the word
"ruins" that doesn't include recently-condemned buildings.
 - Some people consider a lifecycle prefix like abandoned:building=yes
to be more elegant.
 - Don't tag for the renderer!

Regardless of the tag you choose, I agree with Dave that adding
something like "note=building ruined August 2020 by Hurricane Isaias,
currently condemned" would assist any armchair mappers using previous
years' imagery.

Good luck & stay safe, Jason