On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 1:47 PM Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> My goodness, look at that monstrosity:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1976405#map=8/46.459/-87.627
>
> How can we claim that all of these patches of state-owned land constitute
> a single OpenStreetMap feature?

Because they share a name, share a management plan, are managed as a whole,
are signed alike, enjoy the same protection status, and are popularly
thought of as a unit.

The US has some untidy and diffuse features. Some of those untidy and
diffuse features are important to those who live around them, earn their
livings by them, or recreate in them. Don't demand that we refrain from
mapping them because they fail to conform with your mental model of the
world as it ought to be. It comes across as saying, "My model is fine, fix
your country!" I can't fix it, in any reasonable timeframe at least. I'm
constrained to mapping the country I have.

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin