Mark Williams wrote:
> As I undestand it, a freeway is a highway that has a centre island divide
> BUT does not have stop streets and robots at intersections, rather it has
> on-off ramps and bridges.

There are also other restrictions. eg: <80cc motorbikes and slow
vehicles as far as I know.

Road Traffic Act 29 of 1989:
"freeway" means a public road or a section of a road which has been
designated as a freeway by an appropriate road traffic sign.
This is symbol used I believe:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:UK_motorway_symbol.svg

National Roads (eg: N1, N2, etc) can have freeway sections.
eg: N2 - Mossel Bay - George bypass , Port Elizabeth Bypass.
Other category roads eg: M1 (Gauteng) can also be designated as
freeways. There are a few Region roads (eg R21 - Gauteng) which have
freeway sections.

Regards
Grant