If I get a chance, I'll have a go at re-projecting and turning into a slippymap.

Also happy to help someone else do this.
Basic steps:
 1) Crop images to borders
 2) Add control points via gdal_translate (jpg -> geotiff)
 3) gdal_warp to EPSG:900913 (reproject)
 4) tile... using patched gdal2tiles (patch changes TMS origin from
bottom left to top left.) or other script

I have the scripts that were used for the UK Ordnance Survey map conversion:
http://os.openstreetmap.org/

/ Grant