On Jan 1, 2008 7:19 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2008 3:47 PM, Bruce Cowan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I remember 7-Zip planets being provided in the past, what was the reason
> > for removing them?
>
> Nobody used them. (With a "handful" rounded down to "nobody")
>
> One major issue is that people don't decompress the planet anymre, but
> instead work on the compressed version directly. This means you need
> libraries to read/write them programmatically. Does lzma have such a
> library? Most scripts in SVN can handle GZ and BZ2 files direcly, but
> who is volunteering to fix all the scripts to work with 7z?
>
> Also, every linux system has bz2, but barely any have 7z, and I doubt
> people are going to install a new compression program for just saving
> a few bytes and losing a lot of functionality.
>
> Have a nice day,
> --
> Martijn van Oosterhout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://svana.org/kleptog/

If some of the main tools such as Osmosis and/or JOSM were extended to
use it, it might get more use. I'm sure there's some open-source 7z
Java library somewhere, similar to the bz2 library already used in
Osmosis. Then it could be used without requiring client machines to
install new tools. A 33% savings over bz2 is significant, but the
tripled compression time might be an issue.

Karl