On Jan 17, 2008 3:39 PM, Martin Trautmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Karl Newman wrote:
>
> > It seems to me we're going about this all wrong. Instead of splitting up
> > ways just because any of its attributes change (or to break it up for a
> > route), it seems like a way which denotes the same street (or other
> linear
> > feature) should be as long as possible. Then we could hang attributes on
> > subsections of it: i.e., for way 1234, the speed limit from node 5522 to
> > node 5595 is 100 km/h. Or, way 1234 is a part of route "blue bus" from
> node
> > 9553 to node 2558. Relations could accomplish this, but they don't have
> > rigorous structure to enforce all the parts/data integrity.
>
> It sounds much more reasonable. Sinces ways are derived from the nodes,
> it should be more reasonable to add the speed limit to the node itself,
> but then including a direction in order to find the start of a speed
> limit. However, this would require a matching end designation, such as
>   maxspeed = default
> (or null or "-"...)
>
> A reasonable assumption is that the matching speed limit in one
> direction is the end of a speed limit in the opposit direction. There
> may be many exceptions where speed limits apply for one direction only,
> or where start and end differ.
>
> Merging segments by name and moving tags from segments to nodes could be
> done by a conversion script automatically.
>
> - Martin

I don't think it's a good idea to tag these sorts of things directly on
nodes, because nodes can be shared between different ways. That's why I was
suggesting relations, but it seems to require a more rigorous structure.
Maybe it could be a special type of relation called a sub-way (hee) or
way-section (I'd hate to use the word segment, even though it's apropos)
which designates a particular part of a way. That would allow the editor
tools to deal with it in a uniform way (ensure the data integrity). It might
also be useful to be able to designate a single node in a way with a similar
type of relation (I'm specifically thinking of house/street numbers).
Basically looking for slightly more structure to a certain kind of relation.

Karl