Dear all

The OSMF has been actively investigating the license situation, in
that there are many problems with CCBYSAs application to data. We
think we have found a solution in the form of the Open Database
Licence [http://www.opencontentlawyer.com/open-data/open-database-licence/
]. This license is similar in many respects to the theme and goals of
our existing license but has the added benefit of being applicable to
our situation. One way to think of it is CCBYSA for databases.

It is early days in data licensing (as opposed to Free/Open software
or creative work licensing). The OSMF feel that the ODL license is the
way forward for our project and reject the Public Domain Dedication
[http://www.opendatacommons.org/odc-public-domain-dedication-and-licence/
] because it offers no 'viral' (share alike) protection to the data.

Whilst the license is almost complete, the OSMF have communicated with
the authors and have noted a few improvements we would like to make
before releasing it (detailed in the FAQ). The FAQ is as of writing
not complete on purpose - we foresee questions and so on arising as a
result of this email and the FAQ to build on them. You are encouraged
to read the relevant licenses and contribute to the legal-talk mailing
list and FAQ.

The plan, essentially, is to switch license from CCBYSA 2.0 to the
Open Database Licence in 4 stages.

        • Stage 1 - Get suggestions for any changes required in addition to
those identified by the OSMF
        • Stage 2 - Engage the licenses author to amend the license as required
        • Stage 3 - Email all OSM users who have contributed data with the
option of re-licensing their data
        • Stage 4 - Remove all data from those who do not respond or respond
negatively (the hard bit)

These stages require patience, understanding, legal and technical
knowledge and represent an important change in OpenStreetMap. This
license is not the final decision, but a beginning. We won't find a
perfect license (indeed, many disagree on todays license) or one we
can all 100% agree on, but it's hoped that we can find the best
approach we can and the best way forward for OpenStreetMap.

PS Please remember to reply to legal-talk
[http://lists.openstreetmap.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/legal-talk
]

FAQ etc on wiki:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Open_Data_License
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Open_Data_License_FAQ

Steve Coast, Chairman of the OSMF

With thanks to Richard Fairhurst and Andy Robinson for direct
involvement and the whole OSMF board for support.