On Mar 10, 2008, at 22:51, Igor Brejc wrote:
> I too am a little bit confused: now the whole issue basically comes
> down to renaming the relation from "multipolygon" to
> "area_with_holes". But
> the inital proposal had some other features, like using the inner
> polygons' tags to render the inner polygons content directly (not
> as holes) + abandoning clockwise/anticlockwise approach.

I still want all of those "features".

> Is the renaming really necessary? I think the existing renderers
> already know how to draw multipolygons even without outer/inner
> specification.

I can't speak for osmarender, but as I understand it, osm2pgsql only
does this correctly on the assumption that ways are oriented in a
specific way, and inner ways are tagged the same as outer ways.

This is a prime example of tagging for the renderer.

>> That may be what we want but a significant proportion of the existing
>> data also has:
>> 1) an outer ring which is not a single closed way
>> 2) the same tags on all of the ways
> Shouldn't this be handled just by fixing the inconsistent data?

Certainly the "multipolygons" which are just a polygon with several
ways making up the border are broken and should be fixed. I hope to
get a handle on these.

I'm not so sure what to do about pairs of opposite riverbanks. These
are also clearly not multipolygons and just abuse the way the
renderers work... Probably best to just close them up and tag the
fact, so they can be fixed properly once people agree on [[Relations/
Proposed/Rivers]] or similar.

Cheers
Robert