Label placement. Sometimes the 'wrong' label gets precedent and one is
hidden. Use spring-force placement on the labels to jiggle them until
a fit is found.

Anchor a virtual spring to the lat/lng of a node with place:city,
name:Foo. The other end on to the label itself. Repeat with all the
floating labels (ref: tags etc). Make all the nodes electorstatically
repulsive, add friction and simulate a few iterations. Play about with
values for the spring constant and repulsion coefficient until you
find 'nice' values. For bonus points write a GA to find the nice
values for you.

For all I know mapnik already does something like this.

For super bonus points, do all this in XSLT.

On 21 Mar 2008, at 11:23, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I've been approached by a student of Geoinformatics who wants to
> write her Master's Thesis about something OSM related.
>
> I suggested to look into the rendering topic: Where are our current
> problems in rendering, can they be solved by simply improving the
> renderer(s) or will they need additional input from mappers in the
> form of "hints" or extra data, or are they maybe completely unsolvable
> for computers.
>
> I recognize this is more a general cartography topic than an OSM
> specific one, but our "crowdsourcing" powers might come in if it turns
> out that there are certain areas where map rendering could be improved
> dramatically if mappers did enter a few extra "hints"; nobody else
> could achieve that on a global scale but us.
>
> I'm sure each of you must have some "pet peeve" with our map
> rendering, some area you have mapped but which never looks right, some
> place where you're always tempted to edit the map tile with the GIMP
> before uploading it ;-)
>
> I'd be happy to hear from you about such "areas of bad rendering",
> whether they are bugs in there renderer(s) or just things that are
> ugly for some reason.
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --
> Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09"
> E008°23'33"

have fun,

SteveC | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.asklater.com/steve/