graham wrote:
> Steve Hill wrote:
>> How are people tagging bus stops?  I have been setting tagging nodes that
>> are members of the way, which means they are part of the road they are on.
>> Is this the right way to do it?  It seems right since it unambiguously
>> shows which road the stop is on, but it doesn't allow any indication as to
>> which side of the road the stop is on.
>
> I've been doing the opposite, and have only recently realised that your
> way is the way I was supposed to do it..
>
> I have mapped quite a few bus stops where the bus stop is on a
> pedestrian island and I want to show not only 'side of road' but also a
> fairly exact physical position. I'd be reluctant to give that up to
> plonk all my bus stops in the middle of the road...
>
> I wonder if anyone has done any counts of how many stops in the db are
> points in ways, and how many are points beside ways?

I did think that was the counts Jon included in his earlier post?
The 'highway' counts show 13532 bus stops, but yours must be in the 216
independent objects?

The 'side' information has a number of areas that need covering other than
just bus stop or halt location. No right/left turn from other side of road for
example. And the problem of pedestrian routing showing things like safe
crossing points adds another level of complexity.

p.s. adding all the pedestrian crossings and bus stops on the South Circular
in London along with all the no right turn alternate routes and information on
which lane you should be in would probably cover EVERY possible option. How do
people cope around there? Took me 2 hours to get from Croydon around to the M4
yesterday :( I'll use the M25 next time ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL