Richard Fairhurst schrieb:
> Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
>> Is the fact that Potlatch does live editing a design decision, or are
>> there technical reasons behind it (i.e. it would be much more
>> difficult to have a Flash editor with a "save" button)?
>>
> It's a design decision. If you do "buffered editing", you have to a)
> do conflict management, b) visualise unsaved changes on a map that
> stretches everywhere. Both are very serious UI challenges and
> complications for what's meant to be the newbie-friendly editor.

Wiki's seems to be working well in this regard. I mean, wiki pages can
also be pretty long ...

Anyway,  newbies *have* problems with the current model, not maybe
problems as you mention here.
> People occasionally make comparisons with text-based wikis like
> Wikipedia, but it's not really helpful, because they're much more
> modal: when you've edited a Wikipedia page, you either save or abort.
> You can't just leave it unsaved as you continue browsing. So if you
> translate that model to OSM, where the atoms are much smaller, you
> end up presenting a "Save/Cancel" dialogue box on every deselect,
> which is a UI disaster.

You are editing a wiki page in several small pieces, called characters,
lines, chapters. You are editing the OSM map in small pieces, called
nodes, ways, tags, ...

 From a usability perspective your whole argumentation makes no real
sense to me here.
> For this reason, the issue would be largely solved - as David
> suggests - by requiring those who aren't sure what they're doing to
> actively choose between "Edit" and "Play".
Even with "Edit", I would expect to have an option to Save or Cancel
editings later. Seems that others have the same problem/expectation  ...

BTW: This Edit vs. Play is a concept that you'll see rarely if ever,
there might be reasons that it's less used.
> The sole reason this
> hasn't been done yet is really that lots of people want lots of
> features in Potlatch and those which are mentioned most on the
> mailing lists/users' diaries/forum tend to get done first. This
> doesn't come up much, so it hasn't been. It will be. In fact I'm
> kinda tempted just to do it this evening because it's probably a
> whole lot easier, and less typing, than a protracted mailing list
> debate.
>
> (The issue would be _completely_ solved by doing this _and_ making
> Potlatch easier to use in general, i.e. pop-up help, fewer obscure
> keypresses, etc. It's an ongoing thing.)
>
> If you want buffered editing, use JOSM. And at that point I could get
> onto the subject of "are we - in particular, the wiki - encouraging
> people to run [use JOSM] before they can walk [use Potlatch]", but
> that's a whole nuther kettle of fish. ;)

I'm sorry, but I really still think that you are getting in the wrong
direction ...

This all sounds you're trying to cure the pain of not using buffered
editing with adding another concept that will add another layer of
confusion ...

Regards, ULFL