On 2 May 2008, at 12:38, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> Some things don't require referential integreity: selecting ways/nodes
> within a bounding box can't hurt the referential integrity of the
> database (so long as the code is well-maintained), so the harm in
> converting those methods (which are probably the single most
> performance
> important aspect of Potlatch?) to SQL is relatively low, so far as I
> can
> tell...

One of the other reasons for moving to rails was the holy grail of
using postgres, and rails is theoretically db independent. Of course
it didn't work out that way.

On the specific point, I'm all for more speedy SQL on things like that
so long as there is a rails logic way too - in much the same way as
there apparently is with the tileid stuff. Then if things change
significantly (like, say with changesets, rollback, spatial data
types) we don't have limited options.

Best

Steve