On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:57 AM, David Earl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I can't speak for the other 33,000 contributors, but I (and a few
> > others I know of) simply use isolated nodes as a kind of ellipsis.
> >
> > *----*----*  * * *
> >
> > It's quick and fairly obvious to the next mapper, but not exactly
> bulletproof.
> >

>  One of the first things I proposed when I joined OSM nearly two years ago
> was this:
>
>   http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Towards
>
>  but I never pursued it. Perhaps I should resurrect it again now so that
> there is a built-in way of doing what Andy suggests.
>
>  Indeed, all that needs to happen to make this work is for the renderers to
> implement it.

It's more important that the editors support it, in my opinion, since
it's really editing meta-data that we're talking about. There is a
proposed "notes API", and depending on how that development work goes,
perhaps we'd be better throwing "meta-notes" around saying "this road
continues" and whatever else.

I've found many times where the next human editor misses (or
misunderstands) the 'ellipsis convention', and I would expect the
various forms of todo tags to be missed as well.

Cheers,
Andy