Tom Chance wrote:
> On Thursday 29 May 2008 17:43:11 David Earl wrote:
>>
>> Quite often streets change their names along their length. But the
>> caption placement seems to put the names in the middle of a way.
>>
>> I wonder if it would be useful instead to put the name at either end of
>> the way (unless it won't fit, in which case just one in the centre as
>> now), and also repeat at intervals if there is plenty of room. Ditto refs.
[...]
> An interim solution, until your idea is developed, might be to put some kind
> of hint like a little line perhaps with arrows at the point where the name
> changes.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.72859&lon=-1.21865&zoom=16&layers=B00FF
should make a good test case - a single road with three names within
about 500m. "Littlemore Road" should fit in twice at z16, and looks like
it'll fit in only once at z15. I think I'd prefer marking name
boundaries rather than (as well as?) doubling names.

I must really finish getting the warren-o-buildings done for the
shopping centre to the N.

--
Andrew Chadwick