On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Stephen Hope <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  2008/6/24 Michal Migurski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > I'd also take
> > issue with your rendering of Divisadero - it's a lot like Sepulveda in
> > in LA, apparently the wrong pronunciation is the right pronunciation. =)
>
>  That's a whole other can of worms.  Is the right pronunciation:
>
>  - The way the locals says it?
>  - The way a subgroup of locals of a particular linguistic group say it?
>  - The way the rest of the country says it?  (In Australia, there is at
>  least one town were the inhabitants pronounce it different from pretty
>  much everybody else in Australia. I understand Maine in the US has
>  similar examples)
>
>  There are a few places in Australia and New Zealand that were named
>  after places in Europe, but aren't pronounced the same. Well, not
>  pronounced the same by everybody, in any case.  Who's right?
>
>  Stephen

Spanish names in the US are often subject to butchered pronunciation. I had
a friend from Iowa that told me about a town named Buena Vista where the
locals pronounced it "Byoona Vista". Argh. There's also a California county
that borders Oregon called Del Norte. Locals call it "Del Nort" (not "Del
Nort-ay").

Karl