On 7/29/08, Richard Fairhurst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]

OSM _is_ expressly here to encourage an ecosystem. It's here to
> collect the data and then get people to do funky things with it.

Speaking as a relatively new contributor to the project, I think this is
absolutely fundamental.  I don't think the "collect data" and "do funky
things" schools should see themselves as in conflict.  The best way to
gather a very extensive dataset is to get more and more people to
contribute.  The best way to get people in is to create a good first
impression, make it easy to contribute and reflect that contribution as
quickly as possible.  To me this means that we should be continually
striving to improve the useability of the main map as suggested by Inge and
supporting / incorporating new renderings and applications using OSM
resources.  Some people may have the ability and access to resources to set
up alternative servers etc... but it should also be possible to do this
within the main site, with the approval of the community.

Oliver