On 11/9/08, Ed Loach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Richard asked:
>

>  > Isn't the point of a gate that you can open it?
>  >
>  > i.e. traffic is allowed through, but for routing purposes
>  > there's a
>  > time penalty.
>

> I wouldn't have said so. The point of tagging is a gate is to show
>  there is a gate across a way. Examples I've seen so far include a
>  gate beyond which is a service road for a supermarket (so
>  permissions for the service road are down to who the keyholder is,
>  gates across footpaths (which can be opened), gates into fields (so
>  the landowner has the key) and similar. There are lots of reasons
>  for gates, but it's been a long, long time since I saw one across a
>  road (I was in Scotland IIRC) which is like that you describe above.

highway toll gate

But of course, "traffic" can also mean horse ridges, cyclists etc, all
of which come across gates on the ways they go on, that are open and
incur a time penalty. "please shut the gate".

Sometimes a gate is just a gate.

For the majority of cases I use gate when mapping, they are able to be
opened, but in a small subset of this, when they are on a road, for
car drivers, the majority appear to be locked.