Anyone who has played with an iPhone will have seen the Google maps
application, which provides much of the functionality of the Javascript web
app, while giving quite a good tactile feel....  It also uses wireless
triangulation - or if available, GPS - to show search results for things that
are near you.

Is there any project to create a similar application for the iPhone that uses
OSM maps and data sources?  I think it would be an excellent way to introduce
OSM to people who have never seen it...  I would imagine the existing
functionality of the Google Maps application, plus maybe the ability to do some
small-scale editing such as adding nodes for things like amenities while you're
out and about...

Searching for existing apps showed me that some people have stuffed some
openstreetmap tiles into the GMap application on the iPhone (basically a hack,
replacing the cached tiles) - but that isn't the same as having global
coverage, and making the app available via the AppStore (or iTunes) would
present a huge new audience.