Donald Allwright wrote:
>Sent: 01 December 2008 2:13 PM
>To: 80n; talk@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Where have all the contributors gone?
>
>>In my case I've run out of stuff to map.  Can someone build some more
>roads please? ;)
>
>I think you'll find that if you start mapping footpaths, it'll at least
>partly solve the problem. Footpaths, by definition, cannot (legally) be
>cycled on so you have to do them on foot. Which means your number of miles
>mapped per hour of mapping drops off to a much lower level. You'll feel
>you've wasted your time the first time you see the results, but that
>feeling soon goes. :-)

At 9:00am on a Sunday morning, the meaning of "no cycling" on urban
footpaths mysteriously disappears :-)

Seriously though, last winter I added the local unpaved public footpaths
that fingered out into the countryside around me. I'll be doing more this
winter but then that will have about wrapped them up.

I reckon I have one more season of mapping to the north of Birmingham
(Walsall, Brownhills, Cannock and Lichfield etc) before like some other
contributors I'll need to refocus my mapping or move house. I'm already
mapping 10 miles from home and it really isn't justifiable to map further
out.

The real challenge as has been pointed out is the white space without a
nearby contributor. Especially in the sparsely populated locations of our
planet

Cheers

Andy