Peter Miller wrote:

> I think that would be an excellent idea, however don't assume transit
> authorities will always give you the data because they often won't for
> various reasons.

One of the wonderful things about ODbL is the concept of a collective work
as applied to separate databases.

Right now, if you were to unofficially screenscrape the UK rail timetable
and do magic stuff with it and OSM data, you'd probably fall foul of
CC-BY-SA (boo, hiss). Whereas with ODbL it'd be a collective database and
OSM wouldn't worry about the fact you don't have permission to do anything
at all with the timetable.

Not that I'm planning to screenscrape the PDF timetable or anything. Though
I imagine that, if I were, I'd use CAM::PDF to read the file, write my own
PDF renderer, then parse the columns and put the result in a MySQL database.
Purely hypothetically.

cheers
Richard