I'm giving a talk for Cyclox members telling them about OpenStreetMap on
the coming Thursday, handing out pencil-and-paper mapping packs with
SAEs. Given that we already have all of the streets, pretty much, we can
hopefully get the Cyclox people to tell us about all the cheats,
shortcuts and useful infrastructure that they know and we don't (yet).

  http://upcoming.yahoo.com/event/1495928/
  West Oxford Community Centre. Quite near the station.

It'll also be a social gathering, in the same slot as and replacing a
regular Cyclox meetup, with pizza and pub afterwards. Free nibbles up
front if you get there early.

-- blurb --

Creating a living map for Oxford's cyclists using OpenStreetMap.

 Introductory presentation to OpenStreetMap
 West Oxford Community Centre, the Marytown Room
 22nd January 2009, arrive 6PM for 7 start
 http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=51.752591&mlon=-1.274948&zoom=16
 Refreshments provided beforehand, 30 to 45 mins presentation and Q&A,
 stay for pizza and an informal chat afterwards.

Cyclox, the University of Oxford, and OpenStreetMap will be working
together over the next few months to create a detailed map of the city
that meets the needs of cyclists using a grass-roots approach. The map
will be made by cyclists, for cyclists, and as part of the process we
need to gather information from as wide a spectrum of Oxford cyclists as
possible. We need a good number of volunteers interested in performing
an active on-street survey to help us do this, so if you're interested,
please come along to the meeting!

* Cyclox is the cycling campaign group for Oxford.
* OpenStreetMap creates and provides free geographic data such as street
maps to anyone who wants them.

--
Andrew Chadwick