I spend quite some time working on central asia republics - especially the Fergana Valley (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wiki_Project_Fergana_Valley ) which is in Uzbekistan, with parts of Tajikstan and Kyrgystan. I could not find any really reliable source - most places have at least 2 names, if not 4 or 5 - Russian name, cyrillic script, local language in local script, local languge in cyrillic, local language in latin script, other local language in relevant script, English name, french name, german name alternative english name... etc etc. Searching databases, newspaper articles etc can be frustrating when several places have similar/same names. Geonames map interface has many of the villages in the wrong place anyway, so not very useful. FallingRain is one souce that has pulled together alternative names and presented with a map, but I am not sure which database they have used, possibly vmap0, and of course they have plenty of mistakes too, and do not use cyrillic (http://www.fallingrain.com/world/UZ/3/Yangiqorgon.html).

For the roads, from documents I could read, there is no established local classification in Uzbekistan, I hope that Russia is better organised!

Not much help, but good luck!

James

Hello all,

I want to import populated place names from vmap0 for some regions of Russia.
There are many blank areas in Russia without any data, so vmap0 data,
especially place names can be a quite good basis for these regions
(road network is better to trace using satellite imagery).

Dr James Stewart
Research centre for Social Sciences
Institute for the Study of Science, Technology and Innovation
University of Edinburgh
http://www.issti.ed.ac.uk
http://homepages.ed.ac.uk/jkstew