Gregory Williams wrote:
> I think:
> - Document it in the singular form (the other amenities are singular
> (except toilets, where there are facilities per gender), so it matches
> reality).

As I see it, amenity=toilets are plural because there are typically
multiple stalls or urinals: quite often the gents can be in a completely
separate location to the ladies, even if both have the same name.

Also true of doctors' offices quite a lot of the time, where you'll have
more than one GP, each with his/her own nameplate and consulting room,
and a shared waiting / reception area. That's the pattern for many city
GP practices in .uk anyway.

Could also be laziness in use of language: albeit a sort of laziness
that's common to both tags. And being a lazy developer, I'll probably go
with established JOSM / t...@h practice: plural.

> - Send another mail to the list to give notice that you intend to update
> amenity=doctors to amenity=doctor via a bot in say a fortnight's time.
> That gives people time to update rendering rules to match the new tag if
> they're using it on some private map.

Good plan, should we go that route. I'll try to be a little careful with
this too, given that a similar 'bot seems to have mangled amenity=clinic
to amenity=hospital recently. Seems to have arisen purely due to the
similarity of the English word "clinic" to the German word "klinik" :(

> - Open for voting if you like, but with over 1700 uses in the two forms
> combined I think it's safe to say that it's considered a useful tag
> already.

Probably. Certainly that should count towards it.

--
Andrew Chadwick