From: Robert Vollmert [mailto:rvollmert-li...@gmx.net]
Sent: 26 February 2009 11:44
To: Mike Harris
Cc: Talk Openstreetmap
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] rights of way and designation=*

On Feb 26, 2009, at 11:57, Mike Harris wrote:

> I support Richard's logic 100% but am unsure whether I want to put the
> effort in to go back and add the tags to all those ways I have done!
> (;>) -
> at least until there had been enough discussion that this was well
> established as a new standard. Is the proposal for a new key
> "designation"
> (afaik there isn't such a key yet in (common) use??) with the various
> values
> - footpath, bridleway, restricted_byway, BOAT and - perhaps - ORPA,
> adopted, unadopted?

I've had a look at tagwatch (unfortunately not terribly up-to-date) and
documented this suggestion and current use at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:designation
. Please flesh the page out! It'd be nice to have a list of sensible values
there; also, should there be a ":uk" or "uk:" in the tag or value?

Cheers
Robert