Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:

> There has been rapid progress on the subject of adding
> OpenStreetMap maps to Wikimedia projects (e.g. Wikipedia) during
> the MediaWiki Developer Meet-Up[1] taking place right now in
> Berlin.

The Wikimedia developer meet-up in Berlin had three sessions on
mapping.  What Ævar posted was the outcome of one of them.  Notes
from all three are found on
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Project:Developer_meet-up_2009/Notes/Mapping

I hosted a session that addressed current geographic data content
in Wikipedia (Wiki projects to improve geodata quality).  It's a
fact that we don't know how many articles have coordinates or how
many should have coordinates.  On the Swedish Wikipedia, I found
coordinates in 3 % of all articles.  But on the Dutch Wikipedia,
some 32 % of all articles have coordinates.  We also have no real
idea if these coordinates are accurate. The Dutch Wikipedia's
article about a Norwegian city had a coordinate in central Sweden.
How many such errors do we have? Some languages have a
"WikiProject Geographical coordinates", but these are not
coordinated (pun intended).

So, my ambition is to improve coordinate quality and quantity
across languages of Wikipedia.  For now, this means using
templates that link to the Geo Hack page.  Depending on progress
in the "Wikipedia & OpenStreetMap" project (that Ævar's post was
about), these *links* might later change into *inline* maps.

--
  Lars Aronsson (l...@aronsson.se)

  Wikimedia Sverige - stöd fri kunskap - http://wikimedia.se/