Ouch, that's bad.

i thought they'd contain some actual data, size implied that.

I wonder if anybody knows a way to render the 16 German federal states
(Bundesländer)?  Actually that's what i want to do in the end..

Is there a way to find out what is in a Shapefile?  Like that i can write
filters like

<Filter>[CNTRY_NAME] = 'Germany'</Filter>

in world_boundaries_m?  Is there a way to find this out from a
Shapefile?

Thanks for any hints,
Torsten.