See also: http://openviewproject.org/

________________________________
From: Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com>
To: Nick Whitelegg <nick.whitel...@solent.ac.uk>
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
Sent: Friday, May 1, 2009 10:15:42 AM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] OpenStreetView

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:05 AM, Nick Whitelegg <nick.whitel...@solent.ac.uk>
wrote:

I have put together an extremely simple facility to allow users to upload
panoramas and view their location on a slippy map at
http://www.openstreetview.org.uk/. (Sorry about .uk but .org, .com, .net
appear to be already taken). There's also a blog there. It's not so much a
working application as yet, but I thought I'd let people know so that they
can make comments.

I am actually on the prowl today for a USB video camera that I can plug into
the computer in my car to take images as I drive, geotag them (along with
orientation) and upload them as I go. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love
to hear them.

Here's what I've found so far (with some help from Adam Schreiber):

-
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=webcam&cid=5197139896207141132&sa=title#ps-sellers
- Also, my XBox 360 webcam (when plugged in to my Ubuntu box) can scale up to
1280x...@5fps, which is almost perfect.

I'm trying to refrain from using a digital still camera for two reasons:
1. Lots of snapshots will wear out the focus/shutter mechanism
2. Controlling the camera in a reliable way is hard.