Hi,

Stefan Bethke wrote:
>>> Yes, but here in the US you wouldn't call anything where you couldn't
>>> get a prescription filled a pharmacy so the dispensing tag is
>>> redundant.  I think that's what he's getting at.
>> That's not true:  I can think of several Rexall and Rite Aid locations
>> that are not dispensing pharmacies in Oregon.
>
> So what would you call it then? A drug store?

In Germany we have three classes of drugs (the medical term). Some are
unregulated and may be sold anywhere; some do not require a prescription
but may only be sold through pharmacies; and some require a prescription.

The first group of those which may be sold anywhere is very small and
comprises stuff like herbal tea or on the border line to cosmetics. Even
  classic self-medication stuff like Paracetamol or Cetirizin is in the
second group (only sold in pharmacies).

Because pharmacies are regulated by a special law, supermarkets with a
"pharmacy counter" are very rare. Each pharmacy must be owned by a
trained pharmacist (not e.g. a supermarket chain), and he or she may not
own more than one pharmacy (but that may have up to three subsidiaries).

In Germany, there are no pharmacies that do not fill a prescription.

Bye
Frederik