On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 12:30 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> can any of today's
> hip & trendy messaging protocols be used to painlessly notify anyone who
> is interested that "there's a new diff ready", instead of having
> over-eager scripts poll the directory every 10 seconds?

The server would need to open up a socket and send out some sort of
notification to whoever is listening whenever a new diff is ready.

I imagine might even be an intermediate server application that listens to
that notification, grabs the diff, and creates the pseudo-stream for others.
This way, the pseudo-stream would be delayed by N+60 seconds, where N is the
number of seconds it took to create/post/notify/download the diff. That's
pretty darn good.