Celso González wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 07:00:55PM +0100, Christoph Böhme wrote:
>> Thomas Wood <grand.edgemas...@gmail.com> schrieb:
>>
>> > Can we ban it, the stuff its uploading is completely useless.
>> > (single nodes with only note tags and no other useful metadata)
>>
>> All the nodes I have looked at are for german petrol stations. The
>> script does not seem to check if the station has already been mapped
>> and only setting the note tag is really not much help in sorting this
>> out later.
>
> Importing single nodes its not a bad thing, we made a similar import of
> spanish fuel stations and schools.
>
> By the way, its difficult to check if there is another fuel station in the
> same zone.

No it's not. Especially for nodes it is trivial. For ways it requires some
more effort.

For nodes: download the relevant nodes in the area that you are going to
upload in (XAPI might be useful here) and check for each node you want to
import if there is a node in the vicinity. Since you have lat-lon of each node
that's a basic SQL query. I am assuming you put everything in a database (with
osmosis for example).
The only thing is that that check is not done online and the exact weeding out
of double nodes should be done by hand, according to the list that the query
generates. But if you do it correctly, the last step of re-downloading the
existing data through checking and uploading the new data will take only
minutes.

Regards,
Maarten