Hi all,

A team has formed amoung the Ubuntu community to help make Ubuntu work
well for NGOs (Non-Govermental Organisations, aka charities) [1] [2]. I
myself have done some volunteer work sending ubuntu computers to Africa
with Camara [3]. One problem with many places in the developing world is
non-existant or poor internet bandwidth. Many people have made an
Offline Wikipedia, Camara has done and it has been very successful.

It occured to me that having good free offline maps would also be very
valuable, i.e. an offline OpenStreetMap.

Has anyone done this with OSM?

If not, it should be easy enough to generate and create a CD, which
leads me to my next question. Approximatly how big are all the map
tiles? I doubt you'd fit the whole planet on a DVD. There might be ways
to make it simplified, less zoom levels, black & white vs colour,
restricted area, etc.

Thanks

Rory

 [1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NGO