--- On Fri, 3/7/09, Jonathan Bennett <openstreet...@jonno.cix.co.uk> wrote:

> It's possible, but it appears the people who think it's so
> important
> just want to sit on their arses and have someone else do
> the work.

To be fair, only those with root access to production systems and contacts with
their hosting company would be able to accomplish this, all anyone else can do
is setup identical machines and show that it works, which has already happened.

> By comparison, when Relations were proposed, they happened
> because
> proponents (Frederik, I think?) were prepared to put the
> hours in to
> make them work.

That is an apple and oranges comparison, although others have already setup and
proven that IPv6 works.

Unless the powers that be do it or give those wanting it access to machines and
contacts there is nothing anyone else can do.

It seems those that could make it happen don't understand how IPv6 works, nor
care to find out.

If there is native IPv6 lying around it can be setup on a system in 2 seconds
flat, on debian it's as simple as enabling the ipv6 module and adding an entry
to DNS if radvd is already up and running.

Actually I'd laugh if they have ipv6 module loaded and an IPv6 address is
attached already :)

For fixed addresses which is what I'd suggest, then it doesn't matter if you
change the NIC address you won't have to update DNS all you have to do is edit
/etc/network/interfaces

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1
post-up /sbin/ip -6 addr add 2001:xxxx:xxxx::1/64 dev $IFACE
pre-down /sbin/ip -6 addr del 2001:xxxx:xxxx::1/64 dev $IFACE

If radvd isn't about to announce the gateway you'll also need a ip -6 ro add
default via 2001:xxxx:xxxx::ffff/64

but yea, pretty trivial if the upstream already provides it.