My rule of thumb would of be label it in english rather that local name. But
that's because I am english. Using latin would put some people off from
tagging Zoos.

Jack

On Jul 8, 2009 5:17 PM, "Ed Avis" <e...@waniasset.com> wrote:

Dave Stubbs <osm.list <at> randomjunk.co.uk> writes:

>>>Rather than plant_type=orange_tree or similar, I think it would make more
>>>sense to tag plants and trees with the scientific (Latin) name of their
>>>species or hybrid.

[zoos]

>>I think this would be better tagged with scientific names for the animals
>>rather than 'name' holding the local-language names.

>"on the ground rule" applies... name should be the local language.

That rule applies in the case of disputes that can't otherwise be resolved.
The on the ground rule particularly applies to names, but not to
classifications; the photographic museum in Berlin has
name=Museum für Fotografie, following the rule you mention, but it is
classified
as amenity=arts_centre, not amenity=Kunstzentrum.

Arguably name=Knut would be more appropriate than name=Eisbären...

>If you want to add a "species_taxonomy" (or similar) tag then feel free.

Yes, I'm not proposing that the 'name' tag should change to Latin, but
rather
the introduction of a different tag, and that in some cases 'name' should
disappear.  (A particular enclosure at the zoo might not have a name.)

I am not sure whether this or flowerbeds is of greater importance to the
project, however ;-p.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>