On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 5:37 PM, <si...@mungewell.org> wrote:
> There are a few postings on how to simplify ways, which mostly point to
> the JOSM plugin. I am wondering whether it would be possible for some Java
> hacker to port this plugin into Osmosis.
>
> Reasoning:
> The JOSM plugin is great for 1 or 2 ways, but is cumbersome to run against
> large data set.
>
> As an Osmosis operation, this would enable users to reduce local data set
> (not to be uploaded!) to save size/rendering time for GPS and paper maps.

Traveling Salesman/LibOSM contains an osmosis-plugin
to add certain map-formats and it already contains
a WayHelper.simplifyWay -operation.
Someone could write the required glue-logic
to expose this operation as a task for osmosis.

(I'm very, very busy at the moment but I can give the
right pointers and answer questions.)

Marcus