2009/8/1 Christiaan Welvaart <c...@daneel.dyndns.org>:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2009, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> Why would who maintains a road directly determine its administrative
> classification? If a municipality decides that some road is a motorway, we
> better tag it as such. In The Netherlands some provinces maintain short
> stretches of motorway, for example, while most motorways are maintained by
> the national government. The maintainer of a road can be tagged
> independently. So is it really a big change for Germany and Italy to define
> the highway tag as the administrative classification of the road?

seems as if you got me completely wrong. The administrative
classification _IS_ about who maintains the road (at least in Germany
and Italy). While BAB (Bundesautobahn / motorway) and Bundestraße
(federal road) are maintained by the federal administration,
Landstraßen (~"Land"-roads) are maintained by the Bundesland (~region)
and Kreisstraßen (comunal road) by the municipality. But as I tried to
explain this does not mean that every Bundesstraße is a bigger and
more important road. There are Kreisstraßen (comunal roads) that are
more important (and physically bigger) than other Bundesstraßen or
Landstraßen. That's why we cancelled the idea of tagging highway
according to administrative class already years ago. Of course I don't
want to reimplement it.

> The problem with 'importance' is that it is too vague and it is the task of
> the road maintainer to determine/define a road's function. Also, if there is
> a mismatch between a road's classification and its 'importance',
> we should tag the classification.
what do you mean by classification? Administrative, physical or
importance? There is clearly all the three of them, and of course I
want to tag the administrative classification (inside ref-tag) but not
as the parameter for the highway-class.

> The importance is derived from the topology of the
> road network,
+1
> which is already in OSM.
it is there if we tag it.

> An example is a route through a town
> to a motorway access. The municipality this town belongs to considers this
> route inappropriate, while the municipality where the route starts considers
> it an appropriate route. The road inside the town is still tagged as
> secondary, while its maxspeed was already lowered to 30km/h. AFAIK its
> 'importance' has not changed, however, as no alternative route to this
> motorway access is available (there are several alternative access points to
> this an other motorways, though). So, do you think we should keep it as
> secondary which probably matches its importance (access to a motorway)

yes, of course. Because as you wrote: there is no other way, i.e. if
you want to go to this motorway, you will have to take it -> it is
important, gets a high class (secondary or primary).

> or
> tag it as tertiary or even lower which matches its classification (only
> meant for traffic from and to the town)?
of course not.

Cheers,
Martin