At 16:33 21/08/2009, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
> 2009/8/21 Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org>:
> > Â  Â I just stumpled across this list of awards that Wikipedia seem to
> > have for their contributors:
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Service_awards
> > One part of me finds them funny, and interesting, almost as if they come
> > from some sort of role playing game. Another part of me abhors the
> > implicit hierarchy conferred by such awards, it is almost like service
> > ranks in the military.
> > I'm interested to hear everybody's thoughts on the matter.
>
> I'm not generally opposing this, but please don't make referrals to
> totalitarism like this page does IMHO partly intended, partly unaware
> (communist star (I know that this is an unexclusive meaning, e.g.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_California but it IMHO still is
> the general interpretation), little red book, and the worst (probably
> unintended: {{SA-journeyman}} , {{SA-apprentice}}, etc. which in
> German law would be ~"using forbidden signs and symbols")
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Check out the 2007 "Open Street Mapping Accolades", an Oscar Award parody
at  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Ewmjc/2007_OSMA_Awards for
another approach.  Humour also has its dangers in a multi-cultural
environment; what is funny to one might be perplexing or insulting to
another unless done with care.  That said, it is a gentle non-elitist way of
high-lighting some of the great things people have done to a wider audience.

Mike