Roy Wallace wrote:
> I personally think new shop values should come from tagwatch, not from
> proposals. I.e. to steer the crowd towards the tag already used by the
> majority where necessary.

+1
> IMHO proposals can be useful for introducing new tagging schemes (for
> a way to tag vacant properties, maybe), but not for something as
> simple as different kinds of shops.

The discussion around proposals is great when it improves a tagging scheme.

The actual voting system is worthless.  A handful of people (I used to
be one) say yes or no, while many (most) of the experienced OSMers
either ignore the process or just don't see the proposal or don't care.
The majorities required are ludicrous given we have so many contributors
now.  People can vote to deprecate things, when in practice deprecation
will never happen through voting, tags will slowly fade away because a
better scheme takes over.

Use a few new shop tags as you want, if they get widely used then add
them to the shop=* list.

To the people who will doubtless scream at me for perpetuating a
disorganized, jumble of tags that overlap and even contradict each other
I say simply that this is the thriving openstreetmap, with free format
tagging at its heart, not a proscriptive, unused project that fizzles out.

Cheers, Chris